Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Science of Shopping

1)  I felt that the main point of this article was that basically the buyer or consumer is very predictible when it comes to shopping for items.  Designers know this about consumers so they adjust their sale designs in a way to get the consumer to buy what they want so they can make money. For example, grocery stores are set up as to have the consumer to have to walk all arond the whole store before actually getting to what they need to buy, but by designing the store this way it allows for the possible of more unwanted items. 

2)  For me, the store's design does not influence me.  I don't really enjoy going out shopping and just looking for things to buy.  Whenever I do go shopping, I have what I want to buy in my mind and I just focus on going to get that.

3)  The first thing I would analyze in a store is the environment.  If the environment of the store doesn't seem to be welcoming, then chances are not as many people will step in.  This includes the lighting of the store, the colors it uses, and the attitude of the workers there.  The next thing I would look at is the placement of items throughout the store.  If the more popular items are in the back of the store, then that just results in more walking which is a turnoff.  Finally I would look at the location of the store.  A store downtown might be more busy than one not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment